Wednesday, November 30, 2011

BDSM Week Book #3: I, Omega

I, Omega by Kari Gregg
Loose-Id
Novella:138 pages
3 out of 5

Blurb:
After one mind-shattering night with a stranger at a local leather bar leaves him forever changed, Gabriel lives on the streets as a vagrant to elude the master who hunts him, but the were shifter is a fierce, stubborn predator who reclaims him soon enough. Gabriel is carried away to the pack’s home territory where his instruction on what it means to be the pet of an alpha begins. Gabriel isn’t just any pet, though. He is the rarest among their kind: a human omega.

Treasured? Or cursed?

As Gabriel’s father, the Distinguished Gentleman from Pennsylvania and stalwart of the conservative party, pushes the considerable resources at his disposal to locate his missing son, Gabriel explores who and what he is under his master’s careful protection. Gabriel falls for the shifter who is both lover and destroyer, owner and...friend?


Review:
I have mixed feelings about this book. In a small way I completely hated it, but there is also a small part of me that really liked. My issues derive from, that the book had the opportunity to be spectacular, but in the end, I got these one-dimensional characters with zero likeability. In the beginning, the book was exciting but about 30 pages in I was completely annoyed, and here is why.

We meet Gabriel in the beginning of the book, on the run by someone he refers to as master. An encounter with this master has left Gabriel forever changed, and afraid for his life. Gabriel has left his previous life before, left his home, family and his job. Though afraid of his master, he can’t help but wanting him, the man that is so much more than human the man who made him more than human. Well Gabe is about to lose his freedom when his master finally catches up to him. In a small room, they are reacquainted and Gabriel is punished for running away. In that room, his master claims him, and Gabriel decides to stop running.

The story moves on with life in pack territory, with Gabe’s master that we get to know, as Cal is the Alpha. I know Cal is a shifter, but I am unaware of what he shifts into (I call that a lack of caring). I believed this book was gonna take on some serious awesmazingness, but all I got was a crying and an often hysterical Gabe, and Cal who I thought was a sadistic Dom. Gabe is an omega, which makes me understand his submissiveness, but I just remember him as the guy who freaked out a lot.

The writing is amazing, the flow of the book is done quite well and found that I had finished long before I wanted to. You see, there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I started to like Gabe, and I thought he was finally becoming a character I could love and then the book ends. I was like “whaaat”, that’s it? Gabriel finally starts to show personality and it ends. That alone left me disappointed and unfulfilled.

As I said, the writing is amazing and the sex will have you losing your pants. When it came to the loving Gabriel and Cal lit up the pages, it’s just without it I was not really feeling them. The BDSM, which is more D/s is light, there is spanking nothing I found too shocking. I was hoping to love this one so much, but in the end, it was an alright read for me.


SideNote- There is Dub-con (dubious consent) if some readers aren't comfortable reading about it.
3 Pants Off

Go Ahead Take Those Pants Off

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least the blurb is interesting! Had me going there for a while. And that cover... a real eye-catcher! I haven't read any books with a BDSM storyline, but there's something about that whole scene that gets me revved for some reason. Oh, BTY, I really like your honesty in reviewing books. You don't just say what you like and don't like, but explain things. It's almost like sitting in the room with you and hearing you talk about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Matt, the blurb sounds spectacular and that's one of the reasons I wanted to read it so bad. I was very disappointed, but others seem to like it a lot.

    Thanks! I try not to go into too much detail, but I always want to explain why a book doesn't work for me, otherwise I'd just seem like a hater ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!