Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Summer Of Wes

My Summer of Wes by Missy Welsh
Losse-Id
Short Novel: 103 pages
4 out of 5

Blurb:
I didn't know. How could I? All through high school, I was beaten up and teased for being gay. But I wasn't gay. Or didn't think I was. Now Wes, the guy across the street who's taken me under his wing and been the best friend I've ever had, won't stop invading my dreams, hell, my every waking thought. Am I gay? Because I'm thinking I'd like to kiss him. Actually, I'm thinking there's a lot more I'd like to do with his mouth and the rest of that tall, confident, muscular body. Ah, man... I'm so gay!

But what if he doesn't feel the same way about me? And, Jesus, what about my parents? And those bastards from school are still around. And I'm supposed to go to college this fall... Shit, I need to sit down. I can't breathe and I'm about to shake apart. Then Wes puts his hand on the back of my neck, gives me one of those encouraging squeezes and his bright smile, and everything's okay again. Yeah, I'm hooked. Oh, boy...


Review:
I have finally read My Summer of Wes, after being on my TBR for what feels like a hundred years. I read the story that was making a few online friends crazy with happiness. I must say ‘I am happy too' ! How effing cute is this book, it made me want to go out and fall in love. Just so super uplifting, just wanna skip through fields of wheat and celebrate. Though it’s mostly a sweet story there is still some pretty strong issues presented, and I found that it created a wonderful balance.

Our main protagonist Mal is the shy kid the one picked on through all his high school years. Beaten and made to feel worthless by school bullies. Abused for being gay, before he even knew he was. It’s his last summer at home, and he is trying to keep under the radar. Soon he will leave his vanilla life, and venture off to college. Yet his home life has shaped him to be a scared young man until he gets a fancy new neighbour whose about to spill some fudge on his vanilla.

Wes is the outgoing boy, gay and proud. He restores cars, is charismatic and could care less what anyone would say about his life. When he is chatted up by the neighbourhood bullies and comes out on top, Wes has never been more larger than life and Mal takes notice. The two strike up a friendship, openly gay Wes and shy unassuming Mal who has no clue where he falls on the sexual scale. The summer is going to be about Wes, and a young Mal finally coming into his own after being finally given the freedom to do so.

I am really taken with this book, because of the well-housed balance it offers. Not just sex on pages, it offers a little reality with the reading. The emotional repercussion of being bullied can really keep one in their shell. Mal is a product of that, and the simplicity of it only takes one kind word or one friend to make things a bit better. Though it seems, Mal got a good deal; he got love too.

This story is crazy, sexy, cool. Mal and Wes are hot and young together, and I freaking love it. I recommend this book if you are looking for some PYT (pretty young thing), seriously I got TLC and Michael Jackson in here. That means the book is awesmazing

SideNote- I always said all the hate from bullying comes from a deep-rooted hate of oneself, and if you have something to hide. 




4 Pants Off
Go Ahead Take Those Pants Off

4 comments:

  1. Ah, this is one my absolute favorites. I reread it all the time. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jay! I really liked it, I smiled through the whole book, makes me want a summer loving of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This was the very first M/M romance book I ever read. I had just turned 18 when it came out (no pun intended), so I was legal to read it. Maybe because it's the first M/M I ever read or maybe because I love the way Missy writes or maybe because it inspired me to believe in the possibility of love, but it will always have a special place in my heart. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Matt,
    Thanks for commenting, I enjoyed reading this story a lot. I love when the shy quiet one comes out on top (no pun intended). I heard there's a sequel in the works, so that's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and talk to me!