Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Growing Pains by SL Danielson & Julie Lynn Hayes

Growing Pains (Southern Comfort #2) by S.L Danielson & Julie Lynn Hayes
No Boundaries Press
Novel: 209pgs
3.5 Pants Off

Blurb:
Trouble is growing in paradise, as Mark moves away from Blake and toward Todd. How can love survive when fear gets in the way? Things get complicated as Todd encourages Mark to spend time with him, behind Blake’s back. It’s a good thing Blake has Clay to fall back on, to be his rock as Mark slips away from him. The tale of the tape is going to be the Homecoming Dance. But first there’s the matter of the class rings…

Nothing is easy and nothing is written in stone… not even love.





Review:
Oh Emm Gee, the drama. Growing Pains is the sequel to It Started With a Dare, and Mark and Blake have whole set of issues to deal with. Issues I believe they created all on their own and annoyed living the crap out of me. For a recap, you can check my review for the first book in the series.

Mark and Blake are relatively happy with each other but with the summer, being over their time together will become limited. The boys make new friends, battle jealousy, and realize that their love might not be forever. Talk about shaking their foundation. Mark has rekindled a friendship Blake doesn’t exactly approve of, and Blake is hanging with a new kid that puts the douche-in-bag. It’s like a drama unfolding.

I really enjoyed this one it kept me all riled. I loved that the boys’ relationship is not perfect. Their young, and their reactions and handling of situations prove their youth. I am somewhat annoyed with Blake in trying to force Mark to come out. I don’t think he grasps that it’s a truly personal decision and sometimes a person just cannot or isn’t ready. That part of the story really irked me.

The writing was a bit off in certain scenes, and I found myself having to double check to see if I made mistakes.  For instance, Mark’s friend Todd talks about his drunkard father about how mean and abusive he is. Then later says that Mark can stay with him because his parents are cool. Sorry to say papa does not sound all that cool. It’s very contradictory.

I really did enjoy reading this one, there is so much drama and I freaking loved it. I am excited to see how the authors will work out the doom that was the end of this book. Whom will the boys choose? Who else is going to come in and stir the pot? Man… I cannot wait to find out.

3.5 Pants Off

1 comment:

Go ahead and talk to me!