Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Flawless by Cat Grant

Flawless (Irresistible Attraction #4) by Cat Grant
Riptide Publishing
Novella: 91pgs
3.5 Pants Off

Blurb:
Steve Campbell used to be a player, until a mid-life crisis opened his eyes to his long-repressed love for Connor, his soon-to-be-married best friend and business partner. Coming out at thirty-eight means learning how to date all over again, and this time, Steve’s not willing to settle for empty one-night stands. He wants the real thing.

Gil Alvarez has never had it easy, struggling through childhood and rejected by his family for a body that didn’t match who he was inside. A skilled driver and mechanic, he’s working hard to make his auto shop a success. The last thing he needs is a rich white guy in a candy-apple-red Ferrari tempting him, but Steve’s ready smile and easygoing manner prove irresistible.

One brief, intimate encounter leaves them both hungry for more. Gil’s not ashamed of who he is, but he’s terrified that Steve will reject him—or worse—when he discovers what Gil can’t find the courage to tell him.


Review:
Steve really became my favourite character in Doubtless and in the entire series. A little bit shady in the first book but he proved to be a character with depth that has been in love with his best-friend with no chance of ever getting with him. So yeh, he was all angst and broken and he really touched a spot in me. I was really looking forward to him finding love, and yet I can't help but feeling disappointed in his book. Could be my expectations were really high, but in the end I couldn't feel the connection with pretty much anything in the story, even Steve proved unrecognizable.

Steve Campbell pretty much has it all, he's got money, he's got brains, but sadly he doesn't have game. Finally admitting to liking men could have been fruitful for him, but Steve is over with the one night stands and wants to find his true love. Coming out at thirty-eight is no walk in the park and include his midlife crisis which could mean only one thing. It’s time to get his ass a Ferrari but with no idea how to operate the thing it’s a cool looking car and he's sure he looks just as cool driving it *vroom*.

Well, Steve is clueless and when his beauty refuses to start up (he just has no clue how to get it going) in walks in Gil mechanic extraordinaire who frankly is annoyed by rich white guys with no clue about cars. Yet, he feels a bit of attraction for Steve who's a little goofy and means well. Gil owns a car shop but business is lacking these days but he keeps himself busy by working on his baby, a car he pretty much built with his own two hands. When Steve starts showing up, Gil is delighted but afraid because he is a Trans* and fears that ultimately Steve will reject him when he finds out the truth. He's not ashamed of who is, but past experience has proved that others are not so accepting.

This was a short read, and though while enjoyable I still felt like it could have been tighter. I would say I loved the developing relationship between Gil and Steve but I feel there was no development. No, they did not confess their love but it still felt sloppy and I couldn't feel any connection. A little bit of conflict was introduced (saw it coming) which feels like there will be a sequel, an old haunts type of thing. Maybe then I will feel something for Gil and Steve's relationship. I wanted big things for Steve and somehow this just doesn't add up.

I liked that Gil was a Trans* character but the whole I like cars and not heels thing had me going "huh", I think it’s a little deeper than that. There were some moments where I got that real emotion from Gil in being in a body that didn't match how he felt then it got lost in the "I like working on cars so...” Though I did get that working on cars is not just what he does it’s who he is.

Overall, I liked this story but I can't help feeling disappointed in the story. I wanted more from Steve, wanted more from his love interest, and I just wanted more. Could be that the subject was just too hard to tackle in 91pgs but hopefully there will be more.

Should You Read It? Yes, if you are a fan of the entire series and want to see who Steve ends up with. It's no Doubtless, but an enjoyable story nonetheless.

3.5 Pants Off
Review: Book #1 Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!