Thursday, June 26, 2014

Guest Post: Writng As A New Mom: Good For A Laugh by Jena Wade



So many changes – so little time to reflect on them.

I’ve only been writing for a year and a half, and I’ve been published less than a year so this is all sooo very very new to me. But it has been an incredible journey and I have loved every minute of it.

And now, I am on an entirely new journey… as a new mom. JM was born April 4th, 2014 and I have been on maternity leave every since, so I’ve had plenty of free time to write (NOT). I have had a bit of time, but it’s mostly been spent editing new stories. My goal was to write a 30K novel while on maternity leave – HA – That didn’t happen. I didn’t even get to the outline. Turns out a new baby takes a lot of time – no one told me that. Just kidding.

Luckily – someone was smart and invented the baby carrier. Many a days I find myself with my son in my baby carrier while I type away on a new story. This should be fun to tell him about when he is old enough to understand the kind of… um… delicate writing that mommy does and how he used to be my little helper.

Being a mom has changed so much of my writing style and really has made me more focused on my writing since every moment is crucial – and could be interrupted at any time. Many many times I have had to get up mid sentence and take care of something – only to return three days later and wonder what the end of the sentence was supposed to be. I’ve learned to be a quicker writer who isn’t easily distracted by twitter, facebook, or pinterest. Hopefully this will pay off…

Now I just have to tackle how to tell my son what mommy writes… and how to get him to NOT tell his pre-school class… Also I probably shouldn’t let him take my books in for Show-and-Tell…


Technically Dating by Jena Wade

Coming June 25th from Dreamspinner Press

Blurb:
Meek and mild Bruce Collins decides to set aside his life in technical support for the evening and try a wild night on the town. Self-described nerd Bruce meets suave Westley Taylor at a club, but the night doesn’t go as planned. When they run into each other the next day, Bruce is determined to get the details right and finish what they started. Westley is impressed and invites Bruce on date after date. Bruce figures they’re technically dating and might even be in a relationship, until he accidentally overhears a phone message intended for Westley. Every aspect of their time together comes into question. Now, it’s time for Westley to set the facts straight.



Excerpt

“I’m sorry.” Bruce sighed and cupped Westley’s face with his hands. “Any chance we could postpone this until later?”The temptation to say yes lingered on his lips, but they still had the issue of where they were going to hook up. Mature Westley choose that time to remind him

of his responsibilities. “I have to work early tomorrow.” He couldn’t exactly start his walk of shame at his place of work. Though, it was appealing.

Bruce kissed him hard and then smoothed Westley’s swollen lips with the pad of his thumb. “I’m going to dream about these lips tonight.” He stepped back, and Westley felt the loss in the pit of his stomach.

“I’m sorry,” Bruce said.

“Me too.”

Westley stood in the parking lot of the club and watched Bruce walk away. The sound of the club thumped in the background, and the laughter of the partygoers reached his ears, but he ignored it.

Seeing Bruce again was unlikely. If he was staying at the hotel, that meant he wasn’t local.

Loss settled in Westley’s chest when Bruce got into his car and drove out of sight.

Websites: 
http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=5118 

www.jenawade.com

www.twitter.com/thejenawade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!